Mosquito Control - Attraction
Tired of being bitten by pesky mosquitoes?
are a problem but they are not unmanageable. It is possible to enjoy that
backyard barbecue without swatting away the buzzing pests or scratching
at your skin. Follow these simple rules to avoid getting bitten the next
time you’re outside enjoying the nice warm weather:
- Mosquitoes are attracted to things that remind them of nectar or mammal
flesh. So, when outdoors during a mosquito peak time, wear clothing
that covers most of your body, keeping as much of your skin covered
- Avoid wearing bright, floral colors as they attract mosquitoes. Khaki,
beige, and olive are better color choices as they have no particular
attraction for mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to particular body odors which is one of
the reasons why some people are bitten more than others. Yale University
researchers have actually identified a component in sweat that is especially
attractive to female mosquitoes. So, if your body is sweaty, rid yourself
of the musk-like scent before spending time outdoors.
- Avoid fragrances in soaps, shampoos, and body lotions. Strong scents
will attract mosquitoes to you.
- Avoid the outdoors during the peak biting times which is from dusk
to dawn and when the weather is hot or humid.
- Citronella candles and mosquito coils may be helpful as repellents.
- Stay away from stagnant water.
Following these tips will keep you from being a mosquito’s next
victim. Click here to learn more about Repellent
and Control Techniques.
Home - Mosquitoes
- Bites - Control
- Diseases - Resources
- Site Map